What type of case records can be accessed through the Archives division?

The Clerk of Courts Archives Division was created in 1984 to establish a Records Management Program for the organization of Clerk of Courts microfilm records. The following is a sample of the records, which can be accessed through the Archives Division:

  • Circuit Felony - years 1915 through 2000
  • Active Circuit Civil Cases - years 1915 through 1985
  • Circuit Civil Docket Sheets through 1989
  • Circuit Probate - years 1915 through 1985
  • County Civil Docket Sheets through 1989
  • Marriage Applications - 1922 through 1972 (For those years prior to 1972, to establish proof of age for Social Security you must request a copy of the application from Archives, along with a copy of the marriage certificate obtained from the Marriage Division.)

The information required for searches is:

  • Civil – the Plaintiff and Defendant names and the year of the case
  • Felony – the defendant’s name, date of birth and year of the case
  • Probate - individual’s name and the year of the case
  • Marriage Application– the Groom’s full name, the Bride’s name at the time of the marriage application and the year of the marriage (Note: The marriage license must have been obtained in Broward County.)

The fees are:

  • $2.00 per year searched
  • $1.00 photocopy per page of a document
  • $2.00 per certification of a document
  • $7.00 per exemplification of a document

Acceptable forms of payment:

  • Checks – Attorney Firm, Personal, Business, Cashiers and Travelers made payable to the Clerk of Courts (in person and by mail)
  • Money Orders – U.S. and International (in person and by mail)
  • Credit Cards – Visa and MasterCard (in person, only)
  • Escrow Account (Established through Finance/Accounting Division)

The address where you can personally appear or mail your request is:

Archives Division
201 S.E. 6th Street, Room: 385
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301

If appearing in person, our hours are 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Eastern Time. If sending a request by mail, include a stamped, self-addressed business envelope. Please allow a minimum of two (2) weeks for a response.

If you need further assistance, please call (954) 831-7851.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list