Electronic Document Filing

How does eFiling work?

A filer electronically files documents to the Florida Courts eFiling Portal at www.myflcourtaccess.com. The filing is electronically delivered to the Clerk's inbox. A filing is considered received by the Clerk upon transmission from the portal to the Clerk's inbox. The Clerk then reviews the filing and either accepts it or pends the filing for corrections. If the filing is pended, the filer is required to submit corrections within 5 days. If accepted by the Clerk, the filing will be docketed and appear in the Clerk’s case maintenance system. You will receive notice of the Clerk’s action by electronic mail from the portal. If you have any other questions related to the processing of your filing by the Clerk please send an email to eFiling@browardclerk.org. The case type and FCCC 'reference number' must be included in the subject line.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

Who eFiles and what cases are eFiled?

Civil - Effective 04/01/2013, eFiling is mandated for attorneys. This includes filings for new and existing cases in Circuit Civil, County Civil, Family, Domestic Violence, Probate, Guardianship and certain Mental Health cases.

Criminal - Effective 01/06/2014, eFiling is mandated for attorneys. This includes filings for existing cases in Circuit Criminal Felony, Juvenile Delinquency and Traffic & Misdemeanor.

Juvenile Dependency and Adoptions - Effective 01/06/2014, eFiling is mandated for attorneys. This includes filings for new and existing Juvenile Dependency and Adoption case types.

All Divisions – Effective 06/21/2014, eFiling is optional for Pro Se Litigants (Self-Represented parties).

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

How do I register to eFile?

The Florida Courts eFiling Portal, developed by the Florida Court Clerks and Comptrollers Services Group has been identified as the statewide eFiling portal. New users may register at www.myflcourtaccess.com.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

How do I register a law firm account?

To establish an ePortal account for your law firm, designate someone from within your law firm to serve as the Account Administrator, fill out the ePortal Law Firm Registration Form (please print clearly or type) and submit the completed form to LawFirmRegistration@browardclerk.org. Once the account has been established the designated Account Administrator will receive an email response with the ePortal login information. The Law Firm Administrator access will allow the user to update the firm's account, reset firm's user password, inactivate attorney accounts and add additional attorney accounts to the firm. A law firm should consider having an alternate administrator to cover leave time, self-audit and manage workload. There is no need to set up individual ePortal Law Firm accounts with every county.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

How do I register as an attorney appearing Pro Hac Vice?

An out-of-state attorney who has filed a Motion to Appear Pro Hac Vice and sent a copy of the motion to the Florida Bar, they will be assigned a PHV number that can be used to register with the Portal. Click here for additional information.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

What software is required?

The only requirement is an internet connection and a browser. Results may vary depending on the browser used.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

How do I get trained for eFiling?

For a quick tutorial review the Broward Clerk of COurts eFiling Training Guide. Upon registering on the ePortal Account Registration page, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the Filer Documentation link. This material and training videos are also available on the eFiling Authority Board's website. Information on local and state eFiling rules, training and other specifics are also on the 17th Judicial Circuit eFiling page.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

What case number format is used for eFiling?

The case number entry screen includes separate boxes for entry of discrete parts of the case number that, will then be combined to produce the standardized Florida Uniform Case Number (UCN).

    • Case year - Must be a valid 4 digit Year (example 2014).
    • Sequence # - Must be 6 Digits or less. No leading zeros are needed (example 412).
    • Court types - You can enter 2 character court type or selection from the dropdown menu.
    • Party Identifier and Branch Location are optional fields and if provided must be 4 characters for the Party Identifier and 2 characters for the Branch Location, which equates to the characters in positions 19-20 in the UCN format. [The case number placed on the actual document will not change.]

eFiling Case Number Format Image

Below you will find Broward County's 2-digit Court Types:

    • For Circuit Criminal Felony cases your selection will be 'CF' Felony.
    • For Circuit Juvenile Delinquency cases your selection will be 'CJ'.
    • For Circuit Juvenile Dependency and Adoption cases your selection will be 'DP'.
    • For County Civil cases your selection will be 'CC’ for County Civil. [Broward County does not use the 'SP' for the Small Claims format.]
    • For Probate cases your selection will be 'CP' for Probate/Guardianship case numbers beginning with PR; 'MH' for Mental Health cases. [Broward County does not use ‘GA’ as a Guardianship Court Type.]
    • For Traffic and Misdemeanor effective April 1, 2014, the assigned Uniform Case Number and local case number will remain the same through the entirety of the case. When cases are transferred from a Satellite Court for Jury trial, Diversion programs, or Capias arrest the original case number will remain the same, the case will be assigned to the Central Court location and given a randomly assigned Central County Court Judge. The same will be true for all cases being transferred from one location to another for any reason, (i.e. Satellite to Satellite or Central to Satellite) the original local case number and Uniform Case Number will remain the same.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

What if I cannot see a case record, the case style or parties on an existing case?

If you have verified you have the correct case number, click "OK" on the warning message.


The parties will display. If you still cannot verify your case or party information on the portal, you may be filing your case in a case type that is confidential or the case may be unavailable in the portal’s database. On confidential cases, no case style or parties will display. If your filing has fees associated with it, you will not be able to select the party to file on behalf of and will have to submit the filing by traditional paper method with a filing fee. Newly eFilied cases will not be recognized in the portal until the next business day following the clerk's acceptance.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

What are some guidelines for preparing documents that will be attached to ePortal filings?

    • Documents should be a standard size of 8 ½ x 11 inches as defined in RJA 2.520
    • Black and white, non-color documents are recommended
    • Scanned documents should be at a resolution of 300 DPI as defined in the State of Florida Electronic Records and Records Management Practices

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

Do the attachments to a motion, opposition or other filings have to be uploaded separately?

Under Court rules, all filings associated with one pleading or paper are one document. Attachments must be included as one document and not uploaded separately. Each document, upon acceptance, will be time stamped and added to the case progress docket. If a document exceeds 50 MB, it must be broken in parts and filed in separate transactions as an addendum with a memo or cover sheet indicating that it is a continuation of the other filing. If this is for a new case filing, wait to get your case number before filing the addendum on that case. The exception to the one pleading one document rule would be for "Traffic and Misdemeanor Civil and Criminal Traffic pleadings only", an Attorney's Notice of Appearance, Written Plea of Not Guilty, Demand for Jury Trial, will be accepted and processed as a multiple pleading document

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

How do I submit proposed orders in Broward County?

For filings in the Circuit Civil or County Civil and Family divisions, send proposed orders directly to the judge. The Clerk will not send proposed orders in the Civil/Family divisions to the judge. Proposed orders attached to other documents will be placed in the case file unsigned.

For filings in the Circuit Criminal Felony division, send proposed orders directly to the judge. The Clerk will not send proposed orders to the judge. Proposed orders filed to other documents will be placed in the case file unsigned.

For filings in the Circuit Juvenile division, send proposed orders with a copy of the motion directly to the judge. The Clerk will not send proposed orders to the judge.

For filings in the Probate/Mental Health division, attach unsigned proposed orders to the motion.

For filings in the Traffic and Misdemeanor division, send the proposed orders directly to the judge. The clerk will not send proposed orders to the judge. Also the ePortal is not set up to allow proposed orders to be filed with the clerk’s office for Traffic and Misdemeanor.

The FDLE Expunge/Seal package may still be sent to the clerk’s office with the original certificate of eligibility. The clerk’s office will send the completed package to the judge. However, if the package is not complete it will be placed in the case file unsigned.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

How do I submit documents to be issued in Broward County?

Summons, writs, subpoenas and other documents that are issued by the clerk should be eFiled. Choose the appropriate Document Group type from the dropdown list, then choose the appropriate Document Type for that group. The associated issuance fees will be automatically calculated. The clerk will electronically affix the required stamps, seals and signatures. The electronically issued documents will be returned to the filer via email notification and will be sent to all email accounts as registered in the portal. It is the filer's responsibility to supply copies, as required for service, to their process server of choice. No service fees will be collected via the portal at this time. No issued documents will be forwarded to the sheriff or other process servers.

This does not apply to Circuit Criminal Felony or Traffic and Misdemeanor case types.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

What happens after I eFile my Petition on a Domestic Violence matter?

After an E-Filed petition has been accepted, the Petition is forwarded to the judge for ruling. The decision is made the same day and Petitioner/Counsel is responsible for obtaining a copy of the ruling along with all associated documents. The Domestic Violence office, located at Broward County Central Courthouse, Judicial Complex West Building, 201 SE 6th Street, 2nd Floor, Room: 02140, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301 is open until 7:00PM Monday through Friday so Petitioner’s may obtain the judicial ruling. Filing of petitions for injunction ends at 5:00pm Monday through Friday per administrative order 2013-41-UFC.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

What to do if my filing is sent to the Pending Queue in the portal?

When an eFiling submission is moved to the Pending Queue in the portal, it is accompanied by a reason code for an issue that has been identified with the document that needs to be addressed before the filing is accepted. If a filing requires resubmission, a Pending Notice will be sent to your email address.

If a filing is rejected or not accepted by the Clerk’s office, follow these steps to edit and resubmit your filing:

    • Log-in to www.myflcourtaccess.com
    • Under My Trial Court Filings, identify the case with a Status of Pending Queue.
    • You may search by Filing #, Date Range or Status.
    • Highlight and click on the Filing # under the Filing # column.

When the filing opens in the Pending Queue, all the information you previously entered for this filing will display, including Case Information, Case Parties and Documents. The reason the clerk has pended the filing appears at the top.

Navigate through the filing screens (Case Information, Case Parties, Documents, Service List) and make the edits required. If there is an issue with the document and it is removed and/or replaced or if additional documents are added to the filing you will receive a new timestamp for the filing. If you edit the original document, you will maintain the original timestamp for the filing.

At the Review & Submit screen, verify all information is correct. Once all information has been verified, scroll to the bottom of the window and click Confirm and Submit all Now to resubmit your revised filing.

Note: If your filing required payment originally or additional fees were added, you will have to resubmit your payment. Your first payment will not be charged to your account until the filing is successfully accepted by the clerk.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

What is a Probate and Guardianship Smart Form?

The use of Probate and Guardianship Smart Forms is required for certain filing types and the forms are provided by the 17th Judicial Circuit Court at www.17th.flcourts.org. As new forms are available they will be posted on the 17th Judicial Circuit Court website. If you are filing a pleading that has an associated smart form, the Clerk will not accept any other document. The Probate Smart Forms require a format with no dashes, e.g. PRC040001234. The forms are hardcoded to only allow 12 characters. For questions or comments about the required forms please send them to guardian@17th.flcourts.org

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

What are some restrictions for eFiling?

Circuit or County Civil and Family: Requests for services such as copies of pleadings, certified or exemplified copies, record searches, Notice of Actions, Certificate of Mailing on Removal of Tenant Actions per FS 83.22(2); bonds, rent or any other court ordered monies to be deposited into the Court Registry must be manually submitted. In addition, Emergency Motions that require immediate judicial review must also be submitted manually.

Juvenile: Due to the confidential nature of Juvenile information; eSummons Issuance is not available for Parties in the Portal. If you need a summons issued, please bring your paperwork to the Juvenile Division in room 349.

Probate/Mental Health: Emergency motions that require immediate Judicial review should be eFiled. The attorney should contact the department with the filing reference number to expedite the filing due to the emergency nature of the filing.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

Why do I have to redact personal identifying information?

Pursuant to rules and administrative orders redaction of personal identifying information is required on all documents that will be included in a publicly available file.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

What about the Notice of Confidential Information?

When filing a Notice of Confidential Information as required by Florida Rule of Judicial Administration 2.420, it must be filed as a separate document in the transaction.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

How do I notify the court that my new case meets the criteria for filing in Complex Business & Tort divisions?

All cases meeting criteria for filing in complex business and tort – per Administrative Order 2013-11-Civ – must file a "Notice of Intent to File in Complex Business & Tort Division" along with their New case eFiling. Please note that Existing cases will require a court order for them to be deemed complex.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

Do I have to follow-up my eFiling with a paper filing?

Follow-up hard-copy paper filing is not required for eFiling. However, certain documents have to be deposited in their original format, such as:

    • Circuit Civil/County Civil: Affidavits, deeds and mortgages.
    • Circuit Criminal Felony: The original FDLE Certificate of Eligibility to Seal must be manually submitted; as the original is required.
    • Juvenile Delinquency, Dependency and Adoption: Any paper document that is a judgment and sentence or required by statute or rule to be sworn to or notarized shall be filed and deposited with the clerk immediately thereafter.
    • Probate: Wills and Death Certificates. Refer to AO 2011-26-PRC
    • for a complete list of Probate documents that must be filed with the Clerk.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

Can a single filing apply to more than one case?

No. Each document electronically filed must be submitted as individual transactions. If cases are not officially consolidated by court order with other cases, any document applying in several cases must be filed in each case. If a case is consolidated with others by court order, then a document can be filed in the lead case. The pleading must indicate that it is a consolidated case and include the consolidated case number.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

Can I file multiple pleadings in the same case in the same transaction?

Yes, you may upload several lead documents for the same case number during the eFiling process, not to exceed
50 MB. Each lead document filed is considered a separate transaction and, once accepted, an entry is made on the progress docket of the case. Multiple pleadings cannot be combined and must be filed as separate documents.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

What fees are associated with eFiling?

Pursuant to Florida Supreme Court order, fees cannot be charged for eFiling; only statutorily mandated filing fees can be charged. Filing fees are paid by credit card or electronic withdrawal from a bank account. The Portal will charge a bank transaction or credit card processing fee for the transaction value as cost recovery, as noted on the financial transaction page in the Portal. There is also an option to request a fee waiver on the payment screen. Please note: the credit card or bank account is not charged for the filing until the Clerk accepts the filing. Rejected (Pending Queue) filings are not assessed any fees. No filing fees apply to Circuit Felony or Circuit Juvenile case types. In the County Traffic and Misdemeanor division the only case type that will require a filing fee is the existing Municipal Ordinance (MO) cases.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

How do I sign my documents?

You may either scan the originally signed document or place a '/s/' with the name typed next to it in the signature portion of the document prior to eFiling it. You must maintain the originally signed documents in your files for a prescribed period of time. Please refer to the 17th Judicial Circuit Administrative Order Establishing Electronic Filing Procedure for more information.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

How can I learn more about eFiling in Broward County?

Additional information can be found on the Broward Clerk's website Quick Links. Information will be updated as eFiling starts in additional divisions. The Clerk of Court staff is not able to give assistance with ePortal related issues and inquiries. Attorneys may contact the Florida Courts eFiling Portal via the support link on their website or call the Florida Courts eFiling Portal Support Desk at 850-577-4609. If you have questions or feedback about eFiling with the statewide portal please send them to support@myflcourtaccess.com

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list

Will copies of Traffic and Misdemeanor case files or citations be available in the courtroom for defense attorneys to view?

Effective 01/06/2014 all new cases will be in electronic format and the clerk will not have paper files available for viewing in the courtroom. Filings prior to this date will be part of a hybrid file. Case information and images will be available for viewing via the Court's wireless (Wi-Fi) access points and the Public Access Terminals located at all four Broward Courthouse service locations.

Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list