As of February 1, 2008, customers now have the option to apply for a passport book, a passport card, or both. The passport card may only be used for land and sea travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. You must already possess a valid passport book in order to apply for the card. Although you can currently apply for a passport card, the passport agency will not be mailing out these cards until Spring 2008. Click here for more information regarding the new card U.S. Passport Card.
You must complete Form DS-11 and apply in person if you can answer “yes” to the following questions:
- Are you applying for the first time?
- Was your previous U.S. passport lost, stolen, or damaged
- Is your previous passport expired and issued over 15 years ago?
- Is your previous passport expired and was issued when you were under the age of 16?
- Has your name changed since your passport was originally issued and you don’t have legal proof of the change?
All applicants must bring proof of U.S. citizenship (such as an original certified Birth Certificate, Naturalization Certificate, or a previous passport) plus proof of identity (such as a valid driver's license) and two identical photographic portraits 2x2 inches in size.
Special instructions for applicants under the age of 16:
- All applicants, regardless of age, must appear in person.
- Parental or legal guardians’ consent is required.
- Evidence of Child's Relationship to Parent/Guardian must be presented.
- Parent/Guardian must present valid photo identification.
Special instructions for applicants 16 and 17 years of age:
- All applicants, regardless of age, must appear in person.
- Parental or legal guardians’ consent may be required.
- Valid Photo Identification is required, if none available, the parent or legal guardian of the applicant will need to appear in person with their valid photo identification.
Additional information regarding Minor Applicants can be found on the U.S. Department of State’s website.
To ensure that you have included all requested documents required to process your application, please refer to Form DS-11 for a listing of these requirements.
All Passport renewals require the completion of Form DS-82
You may renew your passport by mail if you can answer “yes” to the following questions:
- Do you already have a U.S. passport which is NOT damaged?
- Did you receive it within the past 15 years?
- Were you at least 16 years of age when you received it?
- Do you still have the same name or legal proof of your name change? (You will need to submit this proof in an original format.)
You will need to include the following:
- Your most recent passport
- Two identical passport photographs
- And, a $75 fee payable to the U.S. Department of State
If you need your passport urgently, you may request Expedited Service.
Note: Your old passport will be returned with your new passport.
If your name has changed since your last passport was issued, you must include the following:
- A certified copy of the legal document specifying your name change (for example: a marriage certificate, a divorce decree, an adoption decree, or a court order).
- No photocopies will be accepted.
To ensure that you have included all requested documents required to process your application, please refer to Form DS-82 for a listing of these requirements.
|Passport Fees||Application Fee($)||Processing Fee($)||Total Fee($)|
|Passport Book (Age 16 & Older)||*110.00||**25.00||135.00|
|Passport Book (Under Age 16)||*80.00||**25.00||105.00|
|Passport Card (Age 16 & Older)||*30.00||**25.00||55.00|
|Passport Card (Under Age 16)||*15.00||**25.00||40.00|
Pay the Application fee to the "U.S. Department of State"
[Personal check and money orders are the only acceptable payment methods.]
** Pay the Processing fee to the "Broward County Clerk of Courts".
[Cash, Cashier Checks, Money Orders and Credit Cards (Visa or MasterCard) are the only acceptable payment methods.]
|Expedited Service Fee (Add $60 for each application.)
Currently, the U.S. passport card is not eligible for Expedited Service.
Note: An application for a passport book and a passport card may be expedited, but the $60 fee will only serve to expedite the book at this time. The pending production of your passport card, will not serve to delay the issuance and delivery of your passport book or the return of your citizenship evidence.
|For more detailed information on Passports and application processing times, visit the U.S. Department of State Travel website @ www.travel.state.gov|
|Back to the Frequently Asked Questions list|
The Broward County Clerk of Court's Office has various locations for your convenience.
North Regional Courthouse
1600 Hillsboro Boulevard
Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
West Regional Courthouse
100 N. Pine Island Road
Plantation, FL 33324
South Regional Courthouse
3550 Hollywood Boulevard
Hollywood, FL 33021
Office Hours: Monday – Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Click Here for up to date processing times.
If you are planning to travel within the next 14 days, you will need to make an appointment with the Miami Passport Agency by calling 1-877-487-2778 from a touch-tone phone. Proof of travel will be required.
If you are 16 or older, your passport book and card will be valid for 10 years from the date of issuance. If you are 15 or younger, your passport book and card will be valid for 5 years from the date of issuance.
The Passport Agency recommends that you report your lost or stolen passport immediately. You may report your lost or stolen Passport by visiting one of our locations and completing form DS-64. If you choose to, you may also apply for a new passport while you are there. If you decide not to apply for a new passport immediately, you may report your lost or stolen passport by completing Form DS-64 and mailing it to:
US Department of State
Or call the U.S. Department of State toll free at: 1-877-487-2778 (TTY 1-888-874-7793).
You will need to contact the Vital Statistics Office in the state where you were born.